Review: Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

Monday, June 04, 2012


Sweet Evil
Sweet Evil
by Wendy Higgins
Genre: young adult,  paranormal romance
Publication date: May 1 2012
Pages: 454 (paperback)

Source: copy provided by author
Format: paperback
Purchase this book | GoodReads
 


SYNOPSIS: What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences? This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.
Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She’s aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but Anna, the ultimate good girl, has always had the advantage of her angel side to balance the darkness within. It isn’t until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He’s the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna. Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?

What I liked:
  • The characters. They weren't one-dimensional. They had layers upon layers, waiting to be unraveled. I'm not lying when i say that I really really adored them all.
  • The relationships. Anna's relationships with everyone was such a joy to read about. The emotions were very raw, very real. She actually legit cared for everyone around her. It wasn't in a sappy nun from the vatican way, she saw what was there. If she says that she cares for you, she really does care for you. Faults and all.  Also, I loved the neverending sexual frustration between Anna and Kai. Which leads us to...
  • Kaidan Rowe. I know, I know. I already have a 'characters' bullet up there, but Kai deserves a bullet of his own. Kaidan Rowe is a very complex character. He screams 'danger!' but you can't help but fall for him. He's a smart ass, he's rude, he's cocky, manipulative, stuck up, and he doesn't know the meaning of 'personal space'. BUT, he is caring, witty, gentle when he wants to be, and he is very thoughtful. He has a soft side deep deep deep deep deeeep inside him that I just loved so much, he's now on my list of fictional boyfriends. Plus, he has a british accent.
  • Patti. Another character that deserves her own bullet space is Anna's adoptive mom Patti. She has such a big heart and an amazing soul. She cares a lot for Anna, and will even slap a duke demon just to keep her baby safe. She's the closest thing to an angel a human can ever be.
  • The story development. The story is paced nicely, with twists and turns that will make you tear your head off in confusion. I read this book within four hours, staying up til 3AM just to finish it. 
  • The story; period. There are so many books out there about angels and demons, but Sweet Evil is one of a kind. It doesn't sugarcoat, and you're introduced to a world full of sex, drugs, and booze that you never knew existed. It's not another one of those 'good girl falls for bad guy and bad guy turns good and they live happily ever after' books. Anna's not a stupid girl who will defy everything for love. She knows the consequences, and she chooses to do the right things even if it hurts. The story is very true-to-life and it doesn't follow any cliches. It stands on it's own ground.
What I did not like:
  • I hated the ending. I hated that it had to end. I hate that I know that I have to disregard my hate for the ending because it was for the best. I hated how Sweet Evil tore my heart into tiny little pieces, mended it a bit, but then wrecked it again.
THE NUB AND GIST: 4.5 STARS

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I have never heard of this book but this sounds like I should read it now! I'll add it to my to read list!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, Ellie! I've heard many good things about this one, so I think I should check it out. :)

    Ellie, I've given your blog an award. You can find it HERE. :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great layout for your review :) I've been hearing lots of good things about this book (ESPECIALLY about Kai hahaha) and your review just reminded me that I need to read this one ASAP :)

    Also I'm SO Glad to hear that isn't your typical angel YA paranormal because I've read so many that by now I need them to stand out.

    Brenna from Esther's Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds interesting! I'd likely list this book in my wishlist :D Such an awesome review btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you enjoyed it but now I'm absolutely terrified to pick up my copy and read it because I don't want my heart to break... *runs away*

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Tweet Tweet

Flickr Images