Character Interview with Mariah Davis from Shades of the Future

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Shades of the Future

I really really want to read a fun book called, "Shades of the Future" by Suzanne Lilly. I really enjoyed the concept of seeing into the future, which is what happens when Mariah wears a certain pair of Dita sunglasses. I thought it would be fun to chat with the girl with the Dita glasses so I have to admit, I was thrilled when she agreed.

Welcome to The Selkie Reads Stories. Thank you for agreeing to answer questions about yourself. It's a pleasure to have you here! :)

Hi Mariah! Do you have a nickname?

No nickname for me, but I always call my BFF Hay-Bay. That’s because her name is Hayley Bayless, so it just sort of works. Plus, she’s kind of a Hay-Bay sort of person. Bouncy, funny, and full of fun. She’s like a balloon and I have to hold her on a string so she doesn’t float away. Me? I’m more practical, since I have to help my grandmother take care of things, but I’m always up for a fun time.

I’ve heard that you’re a senior in high school. What’s your school like? Do you have any favorite subjects?

I go to Fairfield County High, which is in the middle of the cornfields in the middle of Ohio. Literally. We drive down Highway 22 past rows and rows of corn to get to the school. It’s not too big, so pretty much everyone knows everyone else, which can be a good thing and a bad thing. But living in small town Ohio is like that.
I love, love, love, biology. I want to be a veterinarian when I get out of college. Right now I work at the Happy Paws Rescue Shelter for this really nice doctor. That’s where I got my little schnauzer, Lady. She’s the best dog ever. The last dog we rescued was a Great Dane. We named her Jelly, because she snarfed down a jelly donut I accidentally left sitting on the table when I was grooming her. Then she put her paws on my shoulders and looked at me as if to ask, “Why didn’t you bring more of those?”
I love animals so much that I'm donating 10% of the royalties from my story to the ASPCA. I hope it helps save a few more lovable pets.


When did you realize that you had the ability to see the future? 


It’s actually not me seeing the future. It’s these glasses. They are soooo sweet! Hay-Bay and I found them one day at the White Cottage Restaurant. Can you believe someone was actually careless enough to leave a $400 pair of sunglasses in a diner? Jackpot for us! We share them, 50/50.

For some reason, they only show the future to me, not Hayley. So one day I was wearing them while I was driving, and I heard a truck honk, long and hard. I saw this big rig coming down the wrong side of Highway 22. I freaked out, slammed on my brakes, and pulled off onto the dirt shoulder. When I pushed the glasses up on my head, nothing was there except the blue sky and empty road. It was totally freaky, but that’s not the weird part. The weird part was, when I was sitting there letting my heart rate get back to normal, a red Peterbilt came barreling down the road, on the wrong side! It would have crushed me to bits if I hadn’t been on the shoulder already.


  Seeing into the future must be really cool, huh?  


Yeah, that’s what I thought. At first. But sometimes there are things you just really don’t want to know. Scary things. Bad things.
Let’s move on to your next question.


Okay, last question. It’s time to get serious here. Who would win in a duel, a pirate or a ninja? 


Ooh, I lurve these questions! Okay, hear me out...

The pirate has docked his ship, the Marauder of the Seas, at his secret cove. It’s a new moon, and the sky is as black as ink. A ninja swims from the shore, climbs up the side of the ship, and silently leaps onto the deck. The pirate, after long years at sea, has a sort of sixth sense, you know? So he feels the prickly hairs on his neck standing up, and he whisks his sword out of its scabbard and whirls around, just as a ninja star whizzes past his head and into the main mast. The pirate, let’s call him Bloody Jake, charges with his sword, but the ninja, let’s call him Kai, springs over the pirate and onto the mast. Kai pulls his ninja star out of the mast, and whips it toward Bloody Jake. Kai follows by leaping off the mast and landing with a kick to Bloody Jake’s breastbone. The pirate falls to the deck unconscious.

Kai steps over to him and bends down to pick up his sword. That’s his first and fatal mistake. Sneaking up behind him, making no more noise than the whisper of a wasp, is Villainous Veronica. She delivers a roundhouse kick to Kai’s temple, and as he falls, she tosses a noose around his chest and arms and drags him to the starboard rail. He tries to kick her, and she slices the tendon in the back of his knee with her dagger. Then she pulls down Kai’s black face mask, kisses him on the lips, and tosses him back into the sea.

My advice? Never mess with a girl pirate who has deadly ninja skills.
~-~


I hope you enjoyed that as much as I did!
Click here to find the purchase links for "Shades of the Future" on Amazon.
You can stalk find out more about the author through her website, blog, and goodreads page.




You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. This was so fun to read! Um, Mariah, would you be willing to write a full-length novel inspired by your pirate/ninja story? Because I would SO read it! Such a brilliant idea! I sense a Kai/Veronica love story. Or maybe a love triangle. I'm sure Bloody Jake has his patch-less eye on her. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo ho ho! Let's you and me get a bottle of rum and bandy about the idea for a pirate's tale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellie, I just want to say thank you again for having me on your blog today. It was a blast answering your interview questions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have thought the pirate, but then I'm a sucker for a guy in a shirt unbuttoned to the waist, exposing a ripped chest. Beats black spandex and a tunic. But that's my humble opinion. Fun post. Liked the insight to your heroine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's just something about those pirate guys. :-)

      Delete

Popular Posts

Tweet Tweet

Flickr Images