An Astounding Dystopian Debut: Defiance by C.J. Redwine

Friday, September 28, 2012

Defiance

Defiance (Defiance #1)
by C.J. Redwine
Genre: YA Science Fiction > Dystopia
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Publication date: August 28th 2012
Pages: 403 (hardcover)
Source: finished copy from publisher
Author's website | GoodReads 

Within the walls of Baalboden, beneath the shadow of the city's brutal leader, Rachel Adams has a secret. While other girls sew dresses and obey their male Protectors, Rachel knows how to survive in the wilderness and deftly wield a sword. When her father, Jared, fails to return from a courier mission and is declared dead, the Commander assigns Rachel a new Protector, her father's apprentice, Logan--the same boy Rachel declared her love for two years ago, and the same one who handed her heart right back to her. Left with nothing but a fierce belief in her father's survival, Rachel decides to escape and find him herself. But treason against the Commander carries a heavy price, and what awaits her in the Wasteland could destroy her.

This book nearly gave me a heart attack. Remember those scary horror-themed amusement park rides that start slow and accelerates when you're off guard? Defiance is exactly like that.

The story is set in Baalboden, and the places beyond the walls that surround it. Their world is constantly threatened by a beast called The Cursed One, and the only way to be safe is to pledge allegiance to the Commander, a tyrant of a leader who can no longer be trusted with his powers. The world building is intricate, and never fails to amaze me. Their world didn't differ too much from other dystopian worlds out there, but it still added something fresh and unique to the genre. The settings were described in detail and I felt like I was a part of the book and could see everything in front of me.

 Rachel, the protagonist, deals with a lot of emotional heartache throughout the book. She had so much stress, sadness, anger and despair, but her 'strong girl' front refuses to break down and everything just builds up inside her. I could feel her emotions slowly rise up to the surface though, and her development really struck me in way that gave me hope. She was fierce and headstrong, and did things that would change her forever, but she never strayed.

Our other hero, Logan, was much easier to dissect and understand as a character. He lost his mother at an early age and grew up as an outcast because of the Commander, but he isn't as vengeful as Rachel. He is much more calm and sensible, and he always had a bunch of back-up plans on his sleeve. Rachel's grandfather Oliver took him in when no one else would, so he is extremely appreciative of everything and everyone around him. Rational, smart, and noble, Logan is a far cry from the broody and mysterious types that we usually meet, and it made me love him even more. Logan also has an array of gadgets and inventions that would pop up throughout the novel, and I really appreciated the intricacy and uniqueness of each one.

Like any other hero, Rachel and Logan each had their own fatal flaw. Rachel was too reckless and impulsive, never thinking thoroughly on how her actions would impact others. She would always rebel and show off that she wasn't a weak little lady, and Logan always had to save her from herself. I sometimes saw her as a tad bit selfish, but with reason. Logan had a hard time learning how to trust people, and it often led him to greater disasters. For someone so smart, he could be very dense and he had a hard time understanding people.

The story was told in their alternating POVs, and their individual voices really came through for me. I rarely come across a well-written and realistic male perspective written by a female author, so I really enjoyed reading Logan's parts. The minor characters were jut as interesting, but I just wish that they had a constant role and didn't just jump in and out of the plot like tag-team buddies.

The storyline was paced just right, smoothly accelerating when it has to. The fight scenes in the book were explained in such detail and it was just like watching an action movie unfold right in front of you. The book also had it's fair share of romance, but it didn't take a life of it's own. The romantic scenes, though minimal, were intense and filled with passion. I could easily see this book turned into a successful movie.

Defiance is a book that deals with a lot of tricky issues. A corrupt government, secrets hidden in plain sight, dangerous war tools, and a love blossoming from the pain of loss, you never know what could happen. There's mystery, intrigue, and darkness- but it is also hopeful and vibrant. Defiance is not afraid to show the readers that there is always darkness and that terrible things happen, but sometimes those terrible things- they save you.



Purchase this book from: The Book Depository | Amazon | Fully Booked

You Might Also Like

30 comments

  1. Great review! I've been really looking forward to getting my hands on a copy of this. Can't wait!

    Safari Poet

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed this! I agree that DEFIANCE was a fast-paced and exciting read. The only thing I didn't really like was its characters. I couldn't really connect with either Logan or Rachel, so that was a disappointment.

    Lovely review, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shall buy myself a copy of this book! I've been seeing some mixed review but your made me want to buy this ASAP! Thanks.

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I soo want to read this book! I have a never ending to read list so I am not sure when I can get to it but I will move it up due to your awesome review! It sounds interesting and I cant wait.

    New Follower btw!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen this book around before but lately it's all over the place! Now I've heard really amazing things about and you just confirmed it for me! I cannot wait to read it now!
    Great review!

    Tanja @ Ja čitam, a ti?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting review! I've heard that the characters were hard to get into - like, frustrating, and I see that some in your review, too. "Fatal flaws". I want to read this book, but I'm still nervous. I might wait awhile. Thx for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read many great reviews about this book on goodreads. It was even recommended to me by a friend that's why I'm so curious about this. I guess, I have needed to read it to find out.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic review! :) I can tell that Defiance is a great novel- and something that's surely going on my TBR list. ;)

    -Alyana =))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to get my hands on this book! You're review made me want it even more :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome review! I think I have to read this very, very soon. XD
    Oh, and I love the opening sentence. =))) I love books that suddenly twist and turn when you least expect it.

    -Tiffany@Read, Breathe, Read

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a great review...you clearly told the details of the story..:D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely review! :D Will have to look for a copy of this book. And I am SO digging the cover, love the red hair!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait to read this book. Been wanting to get a copy for quite a while now. Really nice review! I have to see if I feel the same about it when I get to read Defiance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't wait to read Defiance! I keep hearing amazing things about it, so I really need to pick it up! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I heard so many mixed things about this and I am glad that you liked it.
    Since now, I can hopefully start reading this book that has been getting a LOT of attention lately.
    I LOOOVE bad-ass heroines and protective guys!
    This is just my cup of tea
    Your constant reader,
    Soma

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great review. Just added to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been wanting to read this book! The cover is absolutely gorg!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would really love to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  19. nice one! You make me want to read it even more!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great review. This book is on my wishlist. I hope to read it soon. :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds absolutely delicious! I badly want to read this NOW! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great review. Glad you enjoyed it. I loved this book! Can't wait for book 2!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It sounds really good!The cover is awesome and I like the fact that Rachel is a strong heroine who's able to take care of herself.Great review!
    This book has been on my TBR List for a long time,now I can't wait to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've heard mostly great things about this book, and your review has me even more excited to read it. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ooh, a good scary book for Halloween! I love that there's some romance and alternating POV's. I'm excited to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love everything about this book, from the story to the awesome cover. This book is won I'd kill to read!

    ReplyDelete
  27. YA Dystopian? Check. Awesome cover? Check. Right amount of romance? Check. Told from 2 POVs? Check. // SO excited to read this! // Can it get any better?! :))

    ReplyDelete
  28. :) From your review it seems to me Logan & Rachel perfectly complete each others' weakness or strong features...I'm curious if there'll be a romantic line between them :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Tweet Tweet

Flickr Images