Blog Tour Stop: A Review of Poltergeeks by Sean Cummings

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Poltergeeks

I’m happy to be one of the tour stops for Poltergeeks tour today. It’s a nice and quirky book that is perfect for Halloween. Here’s more information about the book:


Poltergeeks (Poltergeeks #1)
by Sean Cummings 
Expected publication: October 2nd 2012 by Strange Chemistry


15-year-old Julie Richardson is about to learn that being the daughter of a witch isn't all it's cracked up to be. When she and her best friend, Marcus, witness an elderly lady jettisoned out the front door of her home, it's pretty obvious to Julie there's a supernatural connection. 
In fact, there's a whisper of menace behind increasing levels of poltergeist activity all over town. After a large-scale paranormal assault on Julie's high school, her mother falls victim to the spell Endless Night. Now it's a race against time to find out who is responsible or Julie won't just lose her mother's soul, she'll lose her mother's life.

Poltergeeks is the kind of book that draws you in from page one. A poltergeist kicking an old woman out of her own home? A teen witch stopping by to save the day? That's definitely something that would peak anyone's interest.

Julie is a teenage witch in training. Sarcastic, snarky, and witty, it was hard for me not to like her. I had her pegged as the cliched 'special and beautiful girl who doesn't think she is', but she certainly proved me wrong. Trust me, the amount of badassery in this girl is above 9000. Her best friend and the Robin to her Batman is Marcus, your average awkward and geeky boy who is head over heels in love with her, and is always willing to give her strength when she needs someone to lean on. They're probably the oddest save-the-world duo, but I'm not ashamed to admit that I was silently cheering them on throughout their whole adventure.

I found myself loving each and every one of Sean's characters. He embezzled them with an intense complexity and vulnerabilities that made them all so real. Their relationships with each other also made my reading experience much more enjoyable. I loved the complicated relationship Julie had with her mother the most. The character development in the book rendered me speechless because of a variety of reasons, and I applaud Sean for that.

The book is a perfect mix of creepy and geeky, magic and reality. Sean Cummings was boss at consistently keeping the mood of the scenes just right throughout the book. Poltergeeks was an adrenaline filled and fast paced read. Sometimes I felt that a lot of things were going on at different intervals, but I realize that it was necessary considering the circumstances Julie and Marcus found themselves in. The scenes were also well described and I didn't want to skim through a single paragraph.

All in all, Poltergeeks was a quick read that sent me on a roller-coaster and left me wanting for more. It succeeded in combining the high tech modern world and the age-old witch trials, creating a heartwarming and quirky read. I am definitely looking forward to more.



Sean Cummings is a comic book geek, superhero junkie, zombie fan and a total nerd. (He's also a gold mine of completely useless information about films made prior to 1960. Don't get him started on "Arsenic and Old Lace" because he won't shut up about it.) He's been writing since his Grade Five teacher Ms. Flowers said that he might possibly have some talent and that he should continue writing...
... which he did and still does every single day.



You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. This book is something new to me. I haven't heard of it before, but it sounds interesting. I really like your review and I'll check this book out. Thanks for sharing.

    Thank you for stopping by, now I'm following you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Polergeeks!
    Even the name gives the book some kind of mystery, it is compelling. And I love stories about independent young girls who are vulnerable at the same time!
    LOVED your review, and I i will definitely be adding this to my TBR pile.
    Your constant reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Tweet Tweet

Flickr Images