Crossing the Line by Katie McGarry

Tuesday, April 02, 2013

crossing the line
Crossing the Line (Pushing the Limits #1.5)
by Katie McGarry
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary
Publisher: Harlequin TEEN
Publication date: April 1st 2013
Pages: 67 (kindle edition)
Source: own copy
Author's website | GoodReads
Lila McCormick, Echo's best friend from Pushing the Limits, first met Lincoln Turner when tragedy struck both their lives. But she never expected their surprise encounter would lead to two years of exchanging letters—or that she’d fall for the boy she’s only seen once. Their relationship is a secret, but Lila feels closer to Lincoln than anyone else. Until she finds out that he lied to her about the one thing she depended on him for the most.  
Hurting Lila is the last thing Lincoln wanted. For two years, her letters have been the only thing getting him through the day. Admitting his feelings would cross a line he’s never dared breach before. But Lincoln will do whatever it takes to fix his mistakes, earn Lila’s forgiveness—and finally win a chance to be with the girl he loves.
In a handful of hours, I'm going to head home, and the one lesson I learned from Josh's death is that life has to be lived now; the future isn't always guaranteed. I have this on shot with her, and I'm going to take it.

Katie McGarry captivated readers with her riveting and emotional Young Adult debut, Pushing the Limits. In this gripping novella, she tells the story of Lila and Lincoln, who discover that sometimes it’s worth crossing the line for love.

Most of the fans of Pushing The Limits as Echo's best friend who stuck with her even if it meant cutting her ties with other friends. When Echo lost her older brother Aires two and a half years ago, Lila mourned just as much. On that same night, Lila met Lincoln. Lincoln's brother Josh suffered the same fate as Aires, and though he seemed to control his feelings during the funeral, he actually poured his heart out to a girl he just met- Lila.

The two instantly clicked and agreed to become pen pals; talking about nothing and everything through letters sent twice a week for two and a half years. They told each other everything and trusted their secrets to one another. It was all building up to each one accepting the probability of having feelings for the other, something more than friendship. Everything was perfect until Lincoln messes everything up by withholding a tiny detail from Lila; the one thing she depended on the most.

Terrified of the thought of losing Lila and wanting so much to fix things and explain, Lincoln speeds his way to her hometown- to the address he knows by heart. After a series of events, Lincoln ends up staying the night at Lila's house, causing them to completely reassess their plans for the future and their unexpected feelings for each other.

The love between Lila and Lincoln was magical, sweet, and marginally perfect in my point of view. I despise instalove, but I'm a fan of their relationship because even though they only spent 24 hours with each other, the book clearly describes the letters sent between the two and how their relationship grew into something more than that of pen pals. Lincoln made Lila feel safe, secure, confident, and unconditionally loved, and Lila was like a miracle for Lincoln; she helped him get through his grief and problems and understood him more than anyone could. The thing that sold me was that even though they were sure that they were in love with each other, they didn't quite say 'I love you' yet and went with the simple 'like', because they both knew that they had all the time in the world to grow and love.

Katie McGarry did it again and did the impossible by packing up so much emotion into a mere 67 pages. She created two characters who I rooted for with all my heart with stories that touched my core. I usually stay away from short stories because they pull you in from the start and end just as easily. That became the case with Crossing The Line. I got so frustrated and angry when it ended because like every McGarry book that I have read, I wanted more. I wished that this wasn't a short story because I truly believe that it had the potential to be a full fledged novel. It wasn't just all about love, either. Crossing the Limits is yet another beautiful story from Katie McGarry about hope, acceptance, moving on, and breaking out of our confines. Lila and Josh's short yet sweet tale teaches us that it's okay to take chances and cross the line.

I think sometimes the things we don't like happen so we can appreciate the good. Like, can I relaly enjoy the sunrise if I didn't experience the darkness of night? Without her past, Echo would never have met Noah, and without her losing Aires, I would never have met you. So, yeah, I do mean what I said in the last letters. You are like a sunrise in my life.

THE NUB AND GIST: 5 STARS

You Might Also Like

15 comments

  1. I'm so surprised! I didn't know there's this novella! I must get it because I love Pushing The Limits. Great in-depth review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhh, I can't believe it's 67 pages :OO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy I totally forgot that this one was coming out! I must read it asap. I'm so happy that you liked it. I can't wait to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm kinda sad that this is just a novella. After reading Pushing the Limits and Dare You To, I'm really looking forward to this. Dare You To, we know more about the people on Noah's side and to be able to read something about Lila is also kinda knowing about Echo's life pre-Noah. And when it comes to loyalty, I know you could count on this girl.

    I can't wait to read this too. I'm actually looking forward to the kissing scenes because McGarry proved that she could write a helluvah bone-melting scene.

    x,
    Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Pushing the Limits and I also love that we get peeks into the other characters through these novellas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH, I forgot this was coming out! I loved Pushing the Limits! Great review! I can't wait to get to this and Dare You To soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. EEP! I missed this! Must fix that.

    Valerie
    StuckInBooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What?!?! I did not know this was out. Where have I been all this time? Ugh, it sounds so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Katie McGarry!!! Pushing the Limits was such a great book (Noah!!!), can't wait to read this one as well and then Dare You To as soon as it comes out. It's nice to find something new about other characters as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know this was out! :O I didn't like Pushing the Limits so much (I know! I'm a rare breed :P), but I really enjoyed Dare You To, so maybe I'll give this a try? And that quote - <3

    Great review!

    Chri @ Ink Skies

    ReplyDelete
  11. uuh... god, i love Pushing the limits. Fall in love to noah and echo. Here, this novella look awesome too. i Want to read it before go to beth's story on dare you too.
    Btw, hi... i am gea, book lova from indonesia :D
    http://bugot.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pushing the limits 1.5 *sigh* I'm gonna read this soon! Although it wouldn't be enough for my craving on the next book. ;)

    -Riz B.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, it seems like great read! I haven't read the first book, but this review makes me want yo :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely loved the 1st book, so I am sure I would love this one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so excited to read this one. I read the other books and devoured them. Ryan is such a dream. Sigh...rain water...

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Tweet Tweet

Flickr Images