My Favourite Mistake by Chelsea M. Cameron

Monday, April 08, 2013

My Favourite Mistake
by Chelsea M. Cameron
Genre: New Adult contemporary
Publisher: MIRA Ink
Publication date: February 12th 2013
Pages: 384 (kindle edition)
Source: own copy
Author's website | GoodReads
Taylor Caldwell can't decide if she wants to kiss her new college roommate or punch him. On the one hand, Hunter Zaccadelli is a handsome, blue-eyed bundle of charm. On the other, he's a tattooed, guitar-playing bundle of bad boy. Maybe that's why Taylor's afraid of falling in love with him, or anyone else. She doesn't want to get burned, so she needs him gone before it's too late.

Hunter himself has been burned before, but Taylor's sexy laugh and refusal to let him get away with anything make her irresistible. Determined not to be kicked out of her life without a fight, Hunter proposes a bet: if she can convince him she truly loves or hates him, he'll leave the apartment--and leave her alone. The problem is, the more time they spend together, the less she hates him, and the more she moves toward love.

But when the man behind Taylor's fear of giving up her heart resurfaces, she has to decide: trust Hunter with her greatest secret, or do everything in her power to win that bet and drive him away forever.
"I was done being a victim. It was time for me to take charge and live my life instead of letting something that happened to me lead my life. So many people had told me the same thing, hundreds of times. It was something I had to learn for myself."

My Favorite Mistake gave me one of the best reading experiences in the history of ever. I was giggling and blushing and screaming in my head. This book had me grinning from ear to ear. My friend Jassie was the one who told me that I should read it, and I love love love her forever because of that.

The thing about My Favorite Mistake is that I have absolutely no idea what exactly set it apart from the rest of the New Adult books I had. It had the overly used recipe of 'girl with a troubled past who didn't want any more trouble + seemingly bad boy with problems of his own but *gasp* actually develops a soft side because of aforementioned girl = boy chases girl but girl denies her feelings because being with boy is bad for her'. Yeap, it was one of those books. However, I devoured the book and loved it to bits in spite of all that.

Maybe I enjoyed this book because of Taylor. Unlike most of girl protags in books like this, Taylor wasn't some goody goody damsel who constantly needed saving. Something happened to her in the past, and she was determined to keep it a secret. Her past didn't affect her confidence, deadpan humor and her sharp tongue though, and she didn't have to rely on Hunter for everything. The only time she cracked was when her sister told her news she wasn't expecting, but easily overcame that not just because of Hunter, but because of her courage in herself. I had to admit that she had her ice queen moments in the first parts of the book and it annoyed me a bit, but the fire and feist in this girl was evident and infectious.

But maybe I enjoyed this book because of Hunter. You know how in some books with love triangles, there's a guy A and a guy B? Guy A is a ~playah~ bad boy with tattoos and sexual innuendos popping out of his mouth 24/7, and Guy B is the sweet blonde hair and blue eyed boy-next-door who can cook and plays the guitar and does everything a gentleman would do. See, Hunter Zaccadelli is Guy C- all of the above. He had the perfect balance of rush and steady. I also loved that he wasn't needy and overly possessive about Taylor and gave her space when she needed it because he actually understood her. I felt a connection with Hunter because we have the same obsession- we both obsess over luck. Hunter has tons of lucky charms tattooed over his body and caresses them when he needs courage. I really really adored this boy because he was virtually perfect yet undeniably flawed. And yeah, Hunter Zaccadelli can cook, ladies.

Or maybe I enjoyed this book because it was perfectly composed. Yes, it's plot is somewhat overused, but if written correctly and perfectly, it can turn out to be an incredibly good novel. Both of the main characters are perfectly imperfect, but they just don't rely solely on each other. The book also stresses the interactions and relationships of Taylor and Hunter with the other characters and you can sense their growth throughout the book. It also has it's dramatic climaxes, but the author masterfully controlled them and didn't make them over the top and unrealistic. The writing was perfectly paced, easy, and conveyed Taylor's narrative voice in the most honest way possible. My Favorite Mistake had all the components that every great book should have, and Chelsea M. Cameron weaved them all together to create a tale that every person who believes in romance should read.

THE NUB AND GIST: 4.5 STARS
Get a copy from: Amazon USABarnes and Noble

You Might Also Like

16 comments

  1. I'm glad this was a lot different to the New Adult titles already out there, I'm always on the lookout for something different, so I may have to give this book a try soon! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jasprit - I'm really happy that My Favorite Mistake was differen from other NA titles, because I really haven't been liking that genre much. Hunter sounds great as well. I hate it when the love interests are possessive and stalkerish and think they own the girl (Beautiful Disaster was one of those, though the girl in that one was dumb, too). Super interested in this one now. :) Lovely review, Ellie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this one, too, despite the mixed reviews I've seen of it. The only thing that bugs me is the secret keeping. I understand not wanting everyone to know your issues, but I don't see the point in keeping it from people who know and care about you. It just frustrates me!!!!!! Great review.

    Jennifer
    YA Sisterhood

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I remember reading this last year and end up enjoying it too. I already can't remember the whole story but I know I had fun reading it. I'm glad you enjoyed this too. Brilliant review. :)

    Eunice @ Book Overdose

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read this over the weekend, I really enjoyed it! I definitely agree that Taylor was a lovely protagonist, none of that damsel-in-distress madness. Hunter is just perfection! <3

    Loved your review and agreed with it completely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds great. I haven't heard much about this. It's funny when a book fits so many stereotypes but still manages to stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also really enjoyed this book, read it on vacation with my kindle and about 5 new adult books. Yay for Guy C, perfect combination of good and bad boy! He'll push your buttons and boundaries, but he'll also do some of the sweet things ever! le sigh! Great review!

    Candice | thecrjreviews

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish you could see me right now..I'm like a little girl screaming gimme gimme!! :D I haven't seen this one before but I so love the sound of it. That quote is amazing and woha I hope I'll get to read this one! :) Great review

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm also getting tired of that NA trend you mentioned, but I'm glad this one was enjoyable even with that. But I want to read this because of Hunter - I want to meet this Guy C! <3 Awesome review, Ellie! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sort of burnt out on NA too, but this sounds AMAZING! Hunter (Guy C - LOL) sounds AMAZING.
    Thanks for the review!

    Btw, I love lucky charms!! <3
    And tattoos? Yum~

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't jumped on the New Adult bandwagon yet, I have mixed feelings about them. But I'm thinking this review has finally pushed me over the edge and I'll give it a go. I like snarky characters and Taylor sounds like my kind of girl. And of course, like everyone else, I need to meet this Hunter guy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like a book I would really enjoy :)
    Thanks for the in-depth review! This definitely made me want to give this book a try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't generally read NA, but this looks SO GOOD! Love the review :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. wuahhhh the book sound really good .. ia have to read very soon ... !!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just happened to see your review for My Favorite Mistake and I'm pleasantly surprised by the summary. In your review, you pointed out the reasons you enjoyed the book and I thought, hey that sounds good! I'm definitely going to get my hands on this book!

    ReplyDelete
  16. When I finished the book, I wanted to read it again! I usually only read a book once and then never again, but this is one that I'm holding onto forever! I LOVE a good love story!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Tweet Tweet

Flickr Images