Six Earlier Days by David Levithan

Monday, April 15, 2013

Six Earlier Days
Six Earlier Days
by David Levithan
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Publication date: November 26th 2012
Source: own copy
Author's website | GoodReads
In Every Day, New York Times bestselling author David Levithan presented readers with his most ambitious novel to date: Every morning, A wakes up in a different body and leads a different life. A must never get too attached, must never be noticed, must never interfere.

The novel Every Day starts on Day 5994 of A’s life. In this digital-only collection Six Earlier Days, Levithan gives readers a glimpse at a handful of the other 5993 stories yet to be told that inform how A navigates the complexities of a life lived anew each day.

In Every Day, readers discover if you can truly love someone who is destined to change every day. In Six Earlier Days, readers will discover a little bit more about how A became that someone.

Fans of Levithan’s books such as Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist, co-written with Rachel Cohn, and Will Grayson, Will Grayson, co-written with John Green, will not want to miss A’s adventures in Every Day and Six Earlier Days.
"Some days are like this. And the only way to get through them is to remember that they are only one day, and that every day ends."

This 37-page gem serves as a companion novel to David Levithan's latest novel, Every Day. I posted my review of Every Day a few days ago, and if you read it then you would know that I loved it to bits. Every Day crushed my heart and made my soul ache. Six Earlier Days didn't fail to do the same.

This novella follows A through his life before it changed in Every Day. It's a pseudo prequel, because it comes before the actual book but doesn't really give hints on what's to come. A bit like bonus material on a movie. This was the aspect of Every Day that I liked the most; how A wakes up in a new body every day and how he goes through it. It was refreshing to read about A's life pre-Rhiannon and about how he managed to get through the days without affecting the life of the person he was inhabiting in any major way.

In Six Earlier Days, A gets to be a seven-year-old girl, a ten-year-old and different teenagers. I have to give it to Levithan because he hooked me with each distinct narrative here. It awes me how well Levithan understood each and every one of the characters A inhabited because they were all so different from each other. His characters are like glass vases; beautiful but fragile. Their feelings came through their actions, and their emotions came through without saying a single word.

Six Earlier Days was incredibly short but it packed a massive emotional punch. Leave it to Levithan to make your heart bleed because of six chapters. If you read Every Day and loved it, read this. If you haven't yet, read Six Earlier Days first, ponder your life decisions for a moment, and then cry towards the direction of the nearest bookstore and buy Every Day.

Get the book from: Amazon | Barnes and Noble | Kobo Store
Read my review of Every day here.

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. I haven't heard of this novella. It seems like a lot of bloggers loved Every Day. It's on my kindle for awhile now, hope I can get a chance to read it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. David Levithan is the author whose books I should start reading. I have heard of Every Day but haven't read that one either. I'll follow your advice and read this one first! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! I loved EVERY DAY but had no idea this existed, so thank you so much! It's good to hear you call this emotional and packing a powerful punch, because I felt that way about the original book, too.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read Every Day yet, but I didn't know this short story existed. Sounds like I should read this first and then hurry up and read the full-length novel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still haven't had the chance to read Every Day, yet, but I am looking forward to it, and this short! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read Every Day but it's on my summer reading pile. I think I'll heed your advice and start on this first. Thanks for the lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read Everyday by David Levithan but i didn't know this exist. I should read this. Love your review btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read Everyday and fall in love. Now excited for this prequel :D

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Tweet Tweet

Flickr Images