The Explosive Finale: Requiem by Lauren Oliver

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Requiem
by Lauren Oliver
Genre: Young Adult dystopian
Publisher: Harper Collins
Publication date: March 5th 2013
Source: ARC from publisher
Author's website | GoodReads
Now an active member of the resistance, Lena has transformed. The nascent rebellion that was underway in Pandemonium has ignited into an all-out revolution in Requiem, and Lena is at the center of the fight.

After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven. Pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels.

As Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain of the Wilds, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancée of the young mayor. Requiem is told from both Lena and Hana's points of view. They live side by side in a world that divides them until, at last, their stories converge.

With lyrical writing, Lauren Oliver seamlessly interweaves the peril that Lena faces with the inner tumult she experiences after the reappearance of her first love, Alex, the boy she thought was dead. Sophisticated and wide-ranging, Requiem brings the Delirium trilogy to a thrilling conclusion.
"I've started dreaming of Portland again.

Since Alex reappeared, resurrected but also changed, twisted,like a monster from one of the ghost stories we used to tell as kids, the past has been finding its way in. It bubbles up through the cracks when I'm not paying attention, and pulls me with it's greedy fingers.

This is what they warned me about for all those years: the heavy weight in my chest, the nightmare-fragments that follow me even in the waking life.

I warned you, Aunt Carol says in my head.

We told you, Rachel says.

You should have stayed. That's Hana, reaching out across an expanse of time, through the murky-thick layers of memory, stretching a weightless hand to me as I am sinking."

After waiting for so long for Requiem, the final installment of the well-loved Delirium trilogy, I wanted to read it as soon as my hands caressed the smooth cover and didn't mind (or scream at) the slightly scary cover girl at all. Time came that the release date was just around the corner and I finally allowed myself to start reading and transport myself back to The Wilds. Surprisingly though, that didn't happen and I was still lying on the sofa wondering if the book will ever start to get interesting.

Requiem was so painfully slow. The roller coaster journey that I expected was replaced with a railroad track: turtle-paced and straight. I understand that the plot had to build up before it reached it's climax, but the book was filled with a lot of unnecessary scenes and tedious dialogue. There were a lot of times where I found myself getting bored and wanting to skip entire paragraphs. 

A lot of conflicts presented in the story were causeless and frustrating to read about. I didn't care too much for the characters, either. They annoyed me to death and it was like they were just using each other. The depth of the relationships in Delirium and Pandemonium were evident but I just couldn't feel them in Delirium. The intense love, regret, thirst for vengeance, and hope that he book was supposed to focus on was near invisible.

Lauren Oliver's writing was masterful as always. Lena's and Hana's point of view were equally well-written and gave voice to the characters. The world-building was magical, believable, raw, and real. I ended up envisioning myself going to places that Lena and Hana went to, and the way the rebellion progressed and how it was planned and executed was well thought of. Lauren's words and sentences were beautiful, fluid, and song-like.  She could effortlessly and seamlessly weave and bend words to her liking, making me want to keep on reading despite the slow pace. 

Requiem was not a bad conclusion to the trilogy but it just didn't reach my high expectations for it and I am disappointed because of that. The book eventually picked up and got my attention a few chapters before the book ended, though. The climax crept up on me and receded as quickly as it came. Most fans are complaining about the ending because the series was concluded with uncertainty and a lot of questions to be answered but I actually liked it; it was more of a sign of a new beginning than an ending, really. The message it echoed reached me and the last few paragraphs were so raw and truthful; I feel like they would always be a part of me.

I am still hungry for a proper epilogue, though.

THE NUB AND GIST: 3 STARS
Buy the book from: Amazon | The Book Depository | Fully Booked

You Might Also Like

25 comments

  1. I literally JUST posted my own review of Requiem, and I also gave it 3 stars! Though I enjoyed it, it just didn't match up to the past two books for me. I agree about the ending though, I thought it was hopeful, and much more realistic than one which ties up every loose end. :)

    Great review!

    Eleanor @ La p'tite bibliothèque

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great honest review. I have an uncorrected proof copy here and I have heard things. I will read it, but, I am a bit nervous as I STILL haven't read Mockingjay as I had heard readers were up and down about it as a finale.

    I'll give it a whirl :D

    Mich

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm one of the readers that pretty much hated the ending. :( I maybe could have gotten past that if the rest of the book was amazing, but I was bored through much of it myself. Really bummed by how this one turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read not so favorable reviews about this book and I think yours was pretty honest. I'm hoping for a good ending, but the unnecessary scenes is bothering me... and to think it's the last book. I hope I could read this soon, your review is totally helpful!

    Check out the Delirium TV Adaptation Cast

    ~Jay
    We Fancy Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh BURN! The last book should be the best but I guess sometimes expectations are too high and it's just not possible to live upto them...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's disappointing that the final book to the Delirium trilogy wasn't as mind-blowing as the first two were! I know several people who weren't very happy about it, and I can sort of see why. I guess I wouldn't mind if Requiem was a little slow - though after Pandemonium's killer ending, I'd say Oliver should've stepped up a little - but the part about the characters is what scares me the most. I came to care for Lena, Julian and Alex in Delirium and Pandemonium, so it's sad that you didn't care much for them in this one.

    I'm still going to get it, though, and read it for myself. Happy to hear that Lauren's writing was as stunning and heartbreaking as always. Great review, Ellie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, it's a shame that you didn't enjoy this one as much as the other two. I know exactly what you mean, the book was slow but I think the characters and Lauren's writing made up for that.

    Some great points made!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, I've been hearing mixed feelings about this book everywhere I turn. I'll still read it but I just won't go into it with high expectations. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is what I'm afraid of. I thought Delirium was okay but Pandemonium was amazing. The mixed reviews I've been reading about Requiem make me anxious to pick it up. I haven't even bought a copy. -__- That being said, I'm still hoping to able to get my hands on a copy soon. Thanks for the great and honest review!

    P.S. Love your new blog layout!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have this book sitting on my shelf taunting me, I was originally going to pick this book up straight but the mixed reviews and discussions of the ending have me a little wary. But I promise to pick it up soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also have this book waiting for me. I won't read it right away just because I might wait. I mean I wanna know what happens next but I'm sort of afraid. Also reviews aren't helping me. I'll have to read it soon then!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was kind of disappointed with how it ended.. I was expecting more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally agree about he ending and I think a lot of people do, as well! It just didn't feel finished.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey,I just found your blog via Bookworm Avenue' blog link up and you have a nice one..am your new follower:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have heard so much about this series, but I have never read it. I think I really should.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never read this series , but I listen so much of it. After I read this review I going to buy Delirium.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I never read this series , but I listen so much of it. After I read this review I going to buy Delirium.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah, a proper epilogue. That is what this book was missing. I wasn't a huge fan of this book, but I can see how it was a nice conclusion.

    great review!
    Found your blog through the blog link up - and now I'm kind of stalking all of your reviews. (: (hope that's not weird)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved the book,except for some dragging parts that lack action, until the ending. Please tell me there's more. I understand the gist of what the last paragraph meant and how things isn't about knowing but come on! We need a freakin epilogue, like what happened after or something.

    Lena's choice was a bit obvious in the beginning but Lauren made me doubt in the middle of the book. I wish she just let her choose. And what happened to Hana? What happened to Aunt Carol? What happened to Fred? It wasn't an open-ending. It feels like it lacks a few pages. It didn't end.

    PS,
    I'm having a hard time writing a review for this.

    x,
    Charlie @ Letter Trails

    ReplyDelete
  20. I liked the open-endedness of it, but I get that people wanted a satisfying conclusion and don't feel like this was it. Love your comment about a proper epilogue, though I'm the opposite...I usually don't like them. :P Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful review! I liked that you didn't give spoilers and that way you let people find out on their own what's happening.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I heard a lot of people complaining that they're not satisfied with the ending of this series so I really am contemplating of whether I'll read this series or not (Yes, I haven't read it yet). Thank you for sharing an honest review. Off to think if I should read this or not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I do love how Oliver ended her thrilling trilogy!!! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Really want to read this series I feel like the last one standing! Lol. I have heard about the quick ending though it happens so often during a series it’s like the authors lose interest or creativity to give us a genuinely awesome ending. Oh wells >.<

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Tweet Tweet

Flickr Images