{Waiting On Wednesday} A Wounded Name by Dot Hutcherson

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

waiting on wednesday



Author:
Dot Hutchison
Publication Date:
September 1st 2013
Publisher:
Carolrhoda Lab
Format:
Hardcover, 320 pages

There's a girl who could throw herself head first into life and forge an unbreakable name, an identity that stands on its own without fathers or brothers or lovers who devour and shatter.

I'VE NEVER BEEN THAT GIRL.

Sixteen-year-old Ophelia Castellan will never be just another girl at Elsinore Academy. Seeing ghosts is not a skill prized in future society wives. Even when she takes her pills, the bean sidhe beckon, reminding her of a promise to her dead mother.

Now, in the wake of the Headmaster's sudden death, the whole academy is in turmoil, and Ophelia can no longer ignore the fae. Especially once she starts seeing the Headmaster's ghosts- two of them- on the school grounds.

At the center of her crumbling world is Dane, the Headmaster's grieving son. He, too, understands the power of a promise to a parent- even a dead one. To him, Ophelia is the only person not tainted by deceit and hypocrisy, a mirror of his own broken soul. And to Ophelia, Dane quickly becomes everything. Yet even as she gives more of herself to him, Dane slips away. Consumed by suspicion, rage, and madness, he spirals towards his tragic fate- dragging Ophelia, and the rest of Elsinore, with him.

YOU KNOW HOW THIS STORY ENDS.

Yet even in the face of certain death, Ophelia has a choice to make- and a promise to keep. She is not the girl others want her to be. But in Dot Hutchison's dark and sensuous debut novel, the name "Ophelia" is as deeply, painfully, tragically real as "Hamlet".

I've always been intrigued by re-imaginings of Hamlet, especially the ones that grant Ophelia a voice. A Wounded Name sounds incredibly interesting and hauntingly beautiful. I love the idea of a teenage Ophelia, lonely and terribly traumatized. I don't know about you, but this seems like my kind of book.
What do you think about the book? Share your thoughts and leave links to your own WoW picks! I'll be sure to stop by :)

P.S. I'm having two ongoing giveaways on the blog at the moment.

You Might Also Like

14 comments

  1. I really adore that cover. Helps even more that it sounds good too! :D Great pick!
    My WoW Pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. I hadn't heard of this book until now. The cover definitely is eye catching.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty cover. I'm not a big fan of retellings but maybe I'd like this one. I'll wait to see some reviews for it. Great pick :)
    Here is our WOW

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE THAT COVER! I've never read Hamlet; for some reason, that one was never assigned in honors, but I'd still love to read it eventually. I think I'd really like this retelling, too, and hey, it'd all be new to me. :) Thanks for sharing! I'm off to add it to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cover and description. Nice pick!

    new follower

    http://itchingforbooks.blogspot.com/2013/04/waiting-on-wednesday-42.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that cover is amazing!! I want it for that alone! Thanks for posting this and bringing it to my attention =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, this one is on my to-read list! I'm looking forward to its release. :)

    Thanks for stopping by my WoW!

    ~Merin @ Read and Reviewed~

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm kind of in love with this cover! Awesome pick I can't wait for this one either.
    Thanks for stopping by my WoW post this week :)
    - Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how A Wounded Name looks! Can't wait for it to be released (:

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely cover! I haven't seen this one before, thanks for sticking it on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great choice, I will definitely read this when it comes out : )

    my WOW and international giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  12. This books sounds wonderful & I love the cover!

    I really enjoy retellings so I'm definitely eager to grab a copy of this.

    A great WoW pick :-)

    Www.obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow! I haven't seen this one before. Not only does it sounds amazing, but it has an amazing cover. Thanks for sharing and for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't heard of this before, but it sounds very interesting. Thank you for sharing. Thanks for stopping by.
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Tweet Tweet

Flickr Images