The Living Dead Kicks Ass: Reboot by Amy Tintera

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Reboot by Amy Tintera
Reboot (Reboot #1)
by Amy Tintera
Genre: Young Adult dystopian
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication date: May 7th 2013
Source: finished copy from publisher
Author's website | GoodReads
Five years ago, Wren Connolly was shot three times in the chest. After 178 minutes she came back as a Reboot: stronger, faster, able to heal, and less emotional. The longer Reboots are dead, the less human they are when they return. Wren 178 is the deadliest Reboot in the Republic of Texas. Now seventeen years old, she serves as a soldier for HARC (Human Advancement and Repopulation Corporation).


Wren’s favorite part of the job is training new Reboots, but her latest newbie is the worst she’s ever seen. As a 22, Callum Reyes is practically human. His reflexes are too slow, he’s always asking questions, and his ever-present smile is freaking her out. Yet there’s something about him she can’t ignore. When Callum refuses to follow an order, Wren is given one last chance to get him in line—or she’ll have to eliminate him. Wren has never disobeyed before and knows if she does, she’ll be eliminated, too. But she has also never felt as alive as she does around Callum.


The perfect soldier is done taking orders.
This isn't your ordinary zombie book. Reboot introduces us to a world where some people, people whose bodies can adapt to the mutation given by an epidemic disease, rise from the dead and become stronger, faster, and less prone to human emotion. A government agency called HARC uses these living dead called the reboots to fight as soldiers and perform brutal tasks with no questions asked.

Wren rebooted after 178 minutes, making her the deadliest and most highly feared Reboot. The humans that patrol the HARC base are terrified of her and the lower reboots know to stay away. The only people who treated her like a person were Leb, one of the few humans at HARC who treated reboots with respect, and Ever, her 'under sixty' roommate and the closest Wren had to a friend. Wren was okay with the reputation of being a monster who enjoyed killing and found some truth in it until Callum came along. Callum is a 22 and one of the weakest reboots in the base. Wren usually chooses to train the reboot with the highest number, but something about Callum and his unabashed humane self intrigues her and chooses him to be her trainee, surprising the other reboots, the humans, and Wren herself.

Being Callum's trainer changes Wren and she starts to feel the human emotions she thought she would never feel again. She starts to break the rules she has followed for the past five years, and allows herself to show compassion towards others. These emotions make Wren start to wonder when she gets called to do private missions and Ever and the other under sixties start to act strange and less sane. When Callum refuses to kill a human during one of their field missions, the president of HARC orders her to get rid of him but she silently refuses to kill Callum and enlists Leb to help her and Callum escape to a place where reboots get to live free from HARC's influence.

Amy Tintera's writing as Wren echoed the voice of a true reboot: strong, assured, confident, and calculating.  But it also had just the right amount of bits of emotion that sprawled across the pages, showing us the humane side of Wren that was bursting at the seams.Wren was convinced that she was the heartless and bloodthirst creature that everyone thought her to be and it was true during the first parts of the book but as the story gradually progresses, you'll see Wren finally coming into terms with why she enjoyed killing and why she kept her emotions bottled up. Callum was incredibly cute and very very human. It was hard to believe that he was a reboot. With that playful smile of his and that curious glint in his eyes, he was just what Wren needed in her life. Callum was an overactive ball of sunshine; always looking at the bright side of things and never backing down whenever Wren dismissed his playful advances.

Reboot was an incredible fast-paced and adrenaline filled book with kickass and endearing characters and unbelievable twists that will keep you on the edge of your seat. The action scenes were vividly set out for the reader and the romance was cute and sweet. Reboot lived up to the expectations of it's cleverly unique plot that plays with what being human truly means. It perfectly laid out the framework for a series that i'm sure will be more than amazing, showing us glimpses of Wren's tragic past that i'm sure will slowly be uncovered in the succeeding books, and leaving us with questions that are dying to be answered. My only complaint about the book is that it unnecessarily rushed through some major events during the last part of the book. Filled with just the right amount of humor and innocent romance that balances out the gore and harsh realities, Reboot is one of the best young adult debut novels of the year.

THE NUB AND GIST: 4 STARS
The Selkie Reads Stories

You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. Ahhh I need this book in my hands! It's nice to know that there was a reversal in roles: the girl was the mysterious one and the boy was the one being funny and cutesy XD Awesome review, Ellie! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see this one was enjoyable. I wasn't really interested in it until I started to hear such good things about it. Now, I am definitely going to have to check it out.

    Jennifer
    YA Sisterhood

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Reboot does sound really good and I truly hope I get a chance to read it. Thanks for your review :)
    new follower :)

    Janhvi @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had really high hopes for Reboot, but ended up disappointed. I'm glad you enjoyed this, though! I liked the characters a lot, too (Callum <3), but I felt that the romance took up too much of the story. I was expecting a darker read, I guess. Anyhow, great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that you enjoyed this one, Ellie, because I've been really, really looking forward to it, and the characters sound so very real! I'm not so sure if the romance will annoy me, but here's hoping I like it as much as you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestly I was very curious about this book and I've even gotten it for review. But then I've heard some not so great things and I skipped it. It's a shame, cause now everyone seem to love it. I'll probably read it someday. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you enjoyed Reboot too Ellie. I loved the unique concept and the pacier scenes. I did think that things were rushed towards the end, but still can't wait to pick up the next book! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got Reboot lined up after Transparent and Art Girls Are Easy (I know - it's been out forever and I STILL haven't gotten to it), but I've been eyeing it for a while, and your review made me want to read it even more. Maybe I should read this next instead? Hehe. Fast-paced stories with kick-ass characters seems like it would be just the kind of book I'd enjoy. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to see you enjoyed Reboot...I'll be starting the audio as soon as I finish my current listen. :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Tweet Tweet

Flickr Images