I Was Slammed: Slammed by Colleen Hoover

Friday, June 14, 2013

Slammed
by Colleen Hoover
Genre: New Adult Contemporary
Publisher: Atria Books
Expected publication: January 4, 2012
Source: Signed copy from author
Author's website | GoodReads

Falling in love can feel like poetry. Or it can feel like a slam to the heart.

Colleen Hoover’s romantic, emotion-packed debut novel unforgettably captures all the magic and confusion of first love, as two young people forge an unlikely bond before discovering that fate has other plans for them.

Following the unexpected death of her father, eighteen-year-old Layken becomes the rock for both her mother and younger brother. She appears resilient and tenacious, but inside, she's losing hope. Then she meets her new neighbor Will, a handsome twenty-one-year-old whose mere presence leaves her flustered and whose passion for poetry slams thrills her.

Not long after a heart-stopping first date during which each recognizes something profound and familiar in the other, they are slammed to the core when a shocking discovery brings their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together and the forces that tear them apart. Only through the poetry they share are they able to speak the truth that is in their hearts and imagine a future where love is cause for celebration, not regret.


Kyle, Never Regret Colleen Hoover,” said the dedix.
I did not. I do not. I never will.

 ***


“So you keep your ocean, I’ll take the Lake.”

This book stayed true to its name. It was definitely a tornado, whirlwind, hurricane of emotions that whacked me right across the face. I want to thank Colleen for giving me a signed copy, and no-thanks to you as well, because I might not enjoy any other book that wasn’t written by you. Kidding—or not.

I’ve wanted to read this book for the longest time and when I got my hands on a copy, I couldn’t take them off. Literally. I read this in one sitting because it’s certainly absolutely definitely totally butterflying good. I typically inhaled the pages of Slammed. Such a page-turner!

Layken was such a funny and great character to read the story from (her perspective). I felt like life slapped her repeatedly and unceasingly in the face. Everything in her life seemed to all come crashing down.. But did she fall? No. Did it hurt? Of course. Did she lose hope? Absolutely not. Did she remain strong, did something about it? Definitely yes. Lake might be inconstant and irrational sometimes, but those only added to her character as a whole. It made the "Lake" of Slammed more real. Her ache and love and joy (but more ache) became mine as well.

Will was.. well, Will Cooper. He was the male (awesomeness) counterpart of Lake. I just highly admire their combo. Being “teenagers” still, their love & affection towards each other was so strong and deep I almost drowned due to all the feels. Their exchanges of lines just melted me because they were so full of warm passion. The emotions were raw and really palpable. The whole book was actually quotable. For an NA book, this was true love, not true lust.

The whole concept of Slammed was so intricately woven together to create this one-of-a-kind masterpiece. SLAM POETRY! It’s the first time I heard of it and I instantly fell in love with slams just like how I fell in love with Lake & Will. It’s not only for people who like poetry, but more so for those who don’t. I can’t believe a woman—or a human being, even—can think of something perfect such as this. Every single, tiny detail was an essential part of Slammed. All the side characters were.. were not just side characters only. I greatly respect authors who can really give character and detail to everyone included in a book.

To be honest, there’s some sort of insta-love in the book, but I have no idea how Colleen Hoover managed to deliver it flawlessly.

Slammed made me cry (several times—something a bounded collection of good-smelling papers had never done before) and crack up numerous times. This is a book I will never ever forget. It would forever be plastered on my mind.


"Don't take life too seriously. Punch it in the face when it needs a good hit. Laugh at it.
...
And last but not least, not the tiniest bit least. Never regret."
 


THE NUB AND GIST: 5 STARS
Buy the book from: Amazon US / The Book Depository UK / Kindle

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Wonderful review! I'm so thrilled you loved this one too. It made me cry and it warmed my heart! :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Tweet Tweet

Flickr Images