{Tour Stop: Review} Sacrifice and Fall For Me by K.A. Last

Saturday, June 22, 2013

The Tate Chronicles

Sacrifice by K.A. Last
Sacrifice - A Fall For Me Prequel
The Tate Chronicles 0.5
Genre: YA Paranormal
Goodreads / Amazon
Seth’s heart is breaking. He knows his decision will hurt the one person he keeps breathing for, but he can’t take it anymore. He can’t be near Grace knowing she will always be just out of reach.

Grace is oblivious to Seth’s turmoil. She loves him unconditionally, but not in the way he wants. They both know that in Heaven physical love is forbidden, and to break the rules is to defy everything they’ve ever been taught.

When Grace and Seth are sent on a mission to save a young mother and her unborn child, Grace must face the fact that Seth won’t be returning home. She doesn’t understand Seth’s decision and hates him for it. But what neither of them realise is how big a part that single decision will play in shaping their entire future.

What would you sacrifice for the one you love?
Fall For Me by K.A. Last
Fall For Me
The Tate Chronicles 1
Genre: YA Paranormal
Grace Tate is a Protection Angel and Vampire Hunter, and she has always followed the rules. But some rules are made to be broken…

Until now the fight against evil has been simple, and falling in love was never part of the plan. So what happens when it’s beyond Grace’s control, and when she least expects it she falls for the wrong person?

All hell breaks loose, that’s what.

At Hopetown Valley High, not everything is as it seems, and the one person Grace thought was her enemy becomes her most important ally.

Blood will be shed, lives will be lost and friendships will be tested. It all comes down to one decision, and when Grace tries to save all those dear to her, she realizes not everyone can be—or wants to be—saved.
It was clearly stated that you should read Fall For Me before the prequel Sacrifice, but being the total badass that I am, I read Sacrifice first. I personally think that it was a good decision because I was given the whole 'angels' back story early on. Also, half of it is told in Seth's point of view and that made me understand his reasons for 'sacrificing' himself. I also fell in love with K.A. Last's writing- it was smooth and simple, but left nothing to be desired.

Sacrifice did it's job really well. I got sucked into the story from the very first sentence and I instantly wanted to know everything about Seth's world. He was an angel, a paranormal creature, but everything about him was just so incredibly humane and I couldn't help but be intrigued. Another thing that I liked in both Sacrifice and Fall For Me was that the angels didn't act like 'typical' angels at all. I even enjoyed reading about the supporting characters.

I thought that this was your typical angel-in-love story at first but then everything changed after Seth left, and when the story switched to Grace's point of view. Suddenly everyone was talking vampires, vampire hunters, and cycles of rebirth, and fathers who will eventually become your brother and it all sounded so crazy but guess what? I ate everything up. There were a lot of things going on in the story and most of it sounded so absurd but I was surprised to find out that I could wrap my mind around the ideas so easily.

Fall For Me brought back the characters that I enjoyed in Sacrifice but it also introduces us to new characters, like Grace's brother Archer. Archer is a vampire hunter like Grace, but he isn't an angel. I know it sounds confusing, but the book explained everything pretty well. Grace and Archer make a pretty fierce vampire hunting team and they've mastered it to a fault. I loved their brother/sister relationship so much because it felts so believable and I could feel the sibling love between those two.

You're probably wondering what happened to Seth, right? He continues to pester Grace and she still hasn't forgiven him, and I think that's the reason why he changed so much over the years. And then there's Josh, who was a really complicated character. He seemed to be a shy guy, but he actually isn't afraid to speak his mind. There's also a bunch of other supporting characters, and the whole story eventually takes a complete 360 degree turn when a vampire named Charlotte appears, so if you thought that the angel -slash- vampire hunter -slash- protector of a legacy thing was confusing, hold on to something because the book gets even more complicated as you finish every chapter.

My main problem with Fall For Me is probably one of the most important aspects of it's story: the romance. I really enjoyed the hints of romance that I got from Sacrifice, but I winced when K.A. Last dropped Josh into the story. I could instantly see the love triangle forming between him, Grace, and Seth and I was right. They had this whole Twilight thing going on and I wasn't really a fan of it because it practically screamed insta love- on both parties. Seth has changed a lot, i'll give you that. And I was so glad that I read the prequel first because I knew that there was a different Seth behind the persona he was emanating. Josh, on the other hand, was a well-written character but I didn't feel anything for him on an emotional standpoint. It may sound that i'm leaning towards Seth, but i'm pretty much neutral. Another problem that I had was the supporting characters; there were so many of them and I think that that was the reason why they weren't as developed as I would have liked.

The Tate Chronicles had a well-written set of main characters plus a complex paranormal world that I easily ate up, and I honestly thought that I would rate it four solid stars or maybe even more. But although it kept the strong characters and superb world building, I didn't enjoy Fall For Me as much as I thought I would. But don't get me wrong, I still think that it was a really good read that fans of Twilight would probably love and enjoy.

THE NUB AND GIST: 3.5 STARS


K.A. Last
K. A. Last was born in Subiaco, Western Australia, and moved to Sydney with her parents and older brother when she was eight. Artistic and creative by nature, she studied Graphic Design and graduated with an Advanced Diploma. After marrying her high school sweetheart, she concentrated on her career before settling into family life. Blessed with a vivid imagination, she began writing to let off creative steam, and fell in love with it. She now resides in a peaceful, leafy suburb north of Sydney with her husband, their two children and a rabbit named Twitch.
The Selkie Reads Stories

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. LOL It's a great think that you're a badass cause I'd do the same. I have to read it order cause what's the point of ordering books. Anyhow I can see that this is about angels, my fave creatures and it does sound like a nice read. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This my first time seeing this book :) I need to read Sacrifice. Thanks for putting this on my map.

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a badass person as well! I read Sacrific for tour and thought, like you when Seth fell, everything turned into a refreshing read.

    Lovely review, Ellie! <33

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Tweet Tweet

Flickr Images