H-O-T-T with an extra T: Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Sweet Evil (The Sweet Trilogy #1)
by Wendy Higgins
Genre: Young Adult - Paranormal
Publisher: HarperTeen
Published: May 1, 2012
Source: Bought from FullyBooked
Author's website | Goodreads


Embrace the Forbidden

What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?

This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.
Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She's aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but it isn't until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He's the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.

Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?



Nephilim. Fallen angels. Angel x devil. Half-angel, half-human.

Who hasn’t heard of these words/phrases before? Who? You’ve been practically living under a rock if you haven’t! These are all recurring themes and concepts in Young-Adult (Paranormal) fiction.
Bad News: Some stories have been too cliché, repetitive, and overused.
Good News: Wendy Higgins managed to mold and form something fresh and unique out of these. 

Wendy Higgins created a world that was hauntingly real. The ideas contributing to the paranormal side of the book weren’t over the top. They were smoothly added to the realism of the book that one might wonder and think if these are all possibly true. 

Higgins also managed to polish and restore the rusty, worn-out, and hackneyed paranormal-angel/demon genre. You can only go to the bookstore and buy this book and inhale it so fast for you to know the many twists the author managed to incorporate to the nephilim story of the book.

The protagonist, Anna, was a little careless and naïve at first, but she managed to pull it off with her character development. The sooo-kind Anna in the beginning transformed into (not a not-kind-Anna but) a more mature, caring, and strong character. Kaidan Rowe, despite seeming like the stereotype “I have a very dark past that’s why I can’t be with you” guy was, in fact, different. He was definitely cocky and rude but funny and selfless at the same time. And then there’s Patti! I give her the “one of the best YA mothers” award.

The romance between Anna and Kaidan really worked out. It wasn’t cheesy and too perfect, but rather the opposite. Although personally, I felt that because of it, less action was put in the book. However, the build-up for the next book was great and I’m absolutely looking forward to reading it!


“I know I’m just a human woman, but so help me, if anything happens to her while she’s with you—”
“I assure you she’ll be in good hands.”
“Mm-hm, that’s part of what I’m worried about.” She pointed at his hands. “Hands off, mister.”


THE NUB AND GIST: 4.5 STARS


Buy the book from: Amazon US / The Book Depository UK / Kindle



 

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. I am in desperate need for a romance that is actually good. The ones I'm reading lately are horrifying. I've heard much love for this series and your review has me convinced I need to buy this.

    Fab review, hon! <33

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read so many books in the angel/demon genre, but it does still remain one of my favourites. I'm glad you thought Wendy Higgins managed to put her own fresh twist on things. Lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. God I so hope this book is as good as you say it is. I'm on a huge crappy book phase. :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Tweet Tweet

Flickr Images