Geeky and Candid: The Boyfriend App by Katie Sise

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

The Boyfriend App
by Katie Sise
Genre: Young Adult - Contemporary
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Published: April 30, 2013
Source: Copy gifted by Author (Thanks, Katie!)
Author's Website | Goodreads

In The Boyfriend App by Katie Sise, super-smart, somewhat geeky Audrey McCarthy can’t wait to get out of high school. Her father’s death and the transformation of her one-time BFF, Blake Dawkins, into her worst nightmare have her longing for the new start college will bring.

But college takes money. So Audrey decides she has to win the competition for the best app designed by a high schooler—and the $200,000 that comes with it. She develops something she calls the Boyfriend App, and suddenly she’s the talk of the school and getting kissed by the hottest boys around. But can the Boyfriend App bring Audrey true love?



When I saw the blurb for The Boyfriend App, I knew I had to have it. I’m not the ‘overly techie, always up to date with the latest gadgets’ guy, nor the ‘over caffeinated, sleep-lacking’ computer programmer, but I felt a certain attraction towards the idea of the story. Turned out, it was everything I hoped it would be, and a little more.

1. Audrey

What I Liked: What a complex main character! Her messy thoughts plus her faults made her a very relatable human. Her mistakes bridged a connection between the reader and the story. I was able to empathize to the problems (and there was a lot) Audrey was going through.

Not so much: At the beginning of the 2nd half of the book, my mouth gaped open at the drastic change in Audrey’s character. Her desire to win the contest (which also somehow means power and fame) became so overwhelming, to the point that it made her do far-reaching means—quite malevolent ones, even. It made room for her development as a person, but during that time, I can’t help but shake my head.

2. The Characters

What I Liked: As the story went on, I really came to love the characters more each turn of the page. As I knew more about them, I became more attached to each one. Even to the “side” characters that were supposed to be just that—“side”, I felt for all of them.

Not so much: Well, some of Audrey’s supposedly friends weren’t constant. They seemed to have no resolve at all. And it didn’t seem to bother Audrey that much; they made up so easily. I wish there was more drama to that friendship aspect of the story.

3. The Plot

What I Liked: The not-seriousness of the story. At first, I thought it will be a not-so-humor-filled story; I was more wrong than ever. I loved that it was comical, candid, and hilarious. It’s a nice break from all those tear-jerkers I came to love (sadist much?). This was something new and fresh to me.

Another, I also wanted to comment on the geeky, technical side of The Boyfriend App. I don’t know a lot about programming (the farthest I got to it is making a simple calculator XD), but I regard the effort Katie put in integrating these hacking/programming stuff in TBA. Programming is complex, but she was able to explain it really efficiently.

Not so much: The absurdity of things. Yes, I loved the comedy and humour incorporated in the story, but some things went a little bit too far for a contemporary story. Some things verged to the point of fantasy, I guess? Still, as I mentioned, it’s what made the story unique and refreshing.

4. The Romance

What I Liked: It was awkward, cute, undeclared, and unrushed.

Not so much: At some point in the book, Audrey’s quench for revenge/redemption made her appear slutty. It was like she would hook up with the nearest guy (that she has always liked) available and willing. She was… confused and undecided. However, it was a bit plausible—given all the setbacks she had to face.

Also, aside from the genuine (and too common) kindness of Aidan, there wasn’t much in him that stood out for me.


To Summarize: I thoroughly enjoyed the fun-ness and funniness of TBA. Definitely a recommend, to geeks and otherwise alike!
 
THE NUB AND GIST: 4.5 STARS

Buy the book from: Amazon US / The Book Depository / Kindle


You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I'm not usually a contemporary fan, but I like that this one has an almost scifi/ techie side. I might have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this review, Kyle! I'm a sucker for contemporary, cute, and funny so this seems like quite the perfect read for me! I also love the techie aspect! I'm glad the author was able to incorporate it well. :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Tweet Tweet

Flickr Images