Top Ten Tuesday - Top Ten Halloween Reads

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish, wherein we feature our "Top Ten" of anything bookish. This week's topic is Top Ten Scariest Looking Book Covers or Top Ten Best Books To Read For Halloween.

Since I haven't read that many spine-tingling, teeth-chattering books, this will be a mix of personal recommends, creepy covers, and my own want-to-read Halloween books.


The Diviners
by Libba Bray

This is a personal recommend because 1920s New York + some occult stuff going on is just the perfect definition of Halloween, right? It definitely gave me the chill bumps while reading it. The writing might be a bit foreign (because of the 1920-ish slang) but it certainly would give you a hard time sleeping!
 
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
by Michelle Hodkin

This is seriously one of the best thriller/mystery books ever. It's mind-boggling and definitely not one to miss!





Sweetly
by Jackson Pearce

My Halloween read last year, this is a must-read after Sisters Red! Even if I was totally creeped out, I couldn't stop reading because of the suspenseful turn of events! Heart-pounding.




The Madman's Daughter
by Megan Shepherd

[My review] Eccentric madman? Remote island? Dark, mysterious love interest? Gruesome animal experiments? A retelling of The Island of Dr. Moreau? Is there more to ask?




 Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
by Ransom Riggs

I have yet to read this book that's so raved by most. Also, that cover just says everything! The illustrations/photos inserted in this novel just adds to the creeptastic experience! It's sequel, Hollow City, comes out in January 2014 (with a creepier cover).


 Unwind
by Neal Shusterman

I can't quite put a finger on why exactly, but this cover just gives me the chills. I don't know if it's the hand or the fingerprint effect. Nonetheless, this dystopian world of grotesque organ donating sounds as creepy and disturbing.

 
 Undead
by Kirsty McKay

If you're going for a more light-hearted read, this one's for you! It's a funny & hilarious tale of stranded students and a zombie epidemic.




The Monstrumologist
by Rick Yancey

I've heard so many great gory & gruesome things about this book written by the author of The 5th Wave, Rick Yancey. I heard that the writing's really graphic and bloody raw, so I'm looking forward to checking this award-winning novel some time soon!

Ten
by Gretchen McNeil

I really need this book in my life right now. Sounds like the perfect mystery/thriller book for me. An And Then There Were None retelling? = I'm SOLD!




Anna Dressed in Blood
by Kendare Blake

Now, this is unheard of! I'm curious to how the author would execute this romance between a ghost and a live human. I loved Kendare Blake's Antigoddess, so I don't see any reason to not see this one after that.
 





Have you read any of these? Tell me what you thought of them! What are your Halloween reads this year? Leave a comment!





You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. I definitely agree with almost all of it. Especially with Mara Dyer :)

    Jules of Jules Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweetly is definitely a creepy cover! Anna,Miss Peregines, and Unwind made my list as well! Great picks this week!


    Tt @ Never Ending Stories

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent list! I just read both of the Kirsty McKay books last week and loved them. I desperately need to read THE DIVINERS now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, glad to have found another person who's read Undead. I loved that book, I kind of alternated between laughing and looking behind me for a zombie in a carrot costume.

    I love your list!!! :)
    Roxy @ Story Envy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading Miss Peregrine's right now and for someone who hates scary/horror stuff, the pictures definitely creep me out.

    x,
    Chaaarlie @ Letter Trails

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only read Mara Dyer from this list, but I love that so much and agree that it would be the perfect halloween or late night read, if you aren't creeped out easily (which I... am). Fantastic list!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Tweet Tweet

Flickr Images