Breathtaking: Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Friday, November 01, 2013

Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Genre: Young Adult - Dystopia
Published: May 1st 2012 by Katherine Tegen Books
Source: Bought/Own copy
Author's website | Goodreads
One choice can transform you, or destroy you.

Every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves, and herself, while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.
Whoa.

Can I just say that again? Whoa.

You would know that a book is nothing but amazing when it only gets better as you reread it. In other words, Insurgent.

I sincerely do not know how to start this review. Well, is it even possible to translate my feelings into comprehensible words for this book? Nope. But I’ll try my best.

“People, I have discovered, are layers and layers of secrets. You believe you know them, that you understand them, but their motives are always hidden from you, buried in their own hearts. You will never know them, but sometimes you decide to trust them.” 

First, let’s talk about Tris. Just when I thought she had a significantly huge development in the first book, her growth in Insurgent was astounding. She was a sword; tested by fire, strengthened by time. She matured by a lot far more than in Divergent. This might be quite weird but I’d like to compare her transformation to a butterfly’s metamorphosis. In Insurgent, she emerged as a full-grown character; seeing the world as it is, her perspective not obscured by a cocoon any longer.

“Sometimes, people just want to be happy, even if it’s not real.” 

The writing didn’t fail to amaze me once again. The foreshadowing and character building really was wow! The irony of the writing was also funny as I already knew what would happen. Veronica Roth gives you clues while making you believe those things mean nothing. You’d just be surprised to how things would turn out eventually. It only proves how carefully plotted and intricately crafted this work was. My reading experience was filled with “Oh! Why didn’t I see that coming?!” moments. Brilliant! She’s one of the most talented authors I’ve read yet.

“Insurgent, he says. Noun. A person who acts in opposition to the established authority, who is not necessarily regarded as a belligerent.” 

Also, in this sequel, we get to learn more about the other characters. It sounds like I can’t stop praising Veronica Roth, but it’s true. The outline of each character was purely exceptional. I started to see their real selves and understand the reason for their motives & actions.

“I think we cry to release the animal parts of us without losing our humanity.” 

One bad thing, though. Tris & Four’s romance fell flat in this sequel. I wasn’t rooting that much for them anymore. There were problems between the two that didn’t get resolved at all OR were resolved too easily. Their relationship was needed to be tested, but their reaction to the circumstances did otherwise to forge their bond. At least this whole fighting thing between them didn’t become the highlight of the book.

Aside from that and very few dragging scenes, I enjoyed this book a lot, that’s why I’m still giving it 5 stars. I know Veronica Roth has a purpose to all these, and I’m giving the trilogy a chance to redeem itself in the last book.


THE NUB AND GIST: 5 STARS

Buy the book from: Amazon / The Book Depository UK / Kindle





 

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I highly disliked the romance between Four & Tris :( So I agree that it fell flat!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Tweet Tweet

Flickr Images