Straight to the Heart: Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Monday, December 23, 2013

Eleanor & Park
by Rainbow Rowell
Genre: Young Adult - Contemporary
Published: April 12, 2012 by Orion
Source: Bought/Own copy
Goodreads | Author's website
Eleanor is the new girl in town, and with her chaotic family life, her mismatched clothes and unruly red hair, she couldn't stick out more if she tried.

Park is the boy at the back of the bus. Black T-shirts, headphones, head in a book - he thinks he's made himself invisible. But not to Eleanor... never to Eleanor.

Slowly, steadily, through late-night conversations and an ever-growing stack of mix tapes, Eleanor and Park fall for each other. They fall in love the way you do the first time, when you're young, and you feel as if you have nothing and everything to lose.

Hand me a dictionary because I’ve run out of words to serve this book justice. How I feel right now: “My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations.” And my heart is a million shards of glass I cannot put back into one piece.

Allow me to not go anymore into details about Eleanor & Park, because the more I talk, the less favour I give it. This book is beyond the adjectives of mundanes. 
This book is about falling in love (emphasis on the fall). Whoever thought of using the verb “fall” for the feeling of in love was a genius. Because when you fall, you fall irreversibly hard. It was accurate and just the perfect description. And Rainbow Rowell made sure her readers knew that.
 
“They fall in love the way you do the first time, when you’re young, and you feel as if you have nothing and everything to lose” practically sums up the book. Rainbow Rowell seamlessly captured the true essence of first love: When you don’t know how or when you do, you just fall in love. When being near each other is the world, and touching him/her is the universe. When you need to inhale as much of each other as possible, so you can always take a part of him/her everywhere. When you’re afraid and brave at the same time. When nothing else matters, and when everything else matters.

Through the dual perspectives of Eleanor and Park, I fell in love the same time. Through Park, I loved Eleanor. And through Eleanor, I loved Park. Through the hundreds of circumstances that threatened to tear them apart, my heart just broke for them. My heart will always go to them.

If you want to feel first love again, or feel love for the first time, why aren’t you holding your copy yet? 

THE NUB AND GIST: 5 STARS

 Buy the book from: Amazon | The Book Depository 


 

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. This had so many quotes I had to write down, because they are just so beautiful. Like that one about Eleanor not being beautiful, but being like art. Because art wan't supposed to be beautiful, it was supposed to make you feel something.
    I LOVED that quote. Rainbow Rowell has this amazing way of crafting her sentences. Her writing is beautiful :D I'm glad you enjoyed this as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeeep! I think I'm liking this book more based on your speechless reaction :D

    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your review, Kyle! It's so short yet it conveys so much. I have felt what you've been feeling and I totally understand your being speechless. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant review of a great book that made me cry most of the time I was reading it.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Tweet Tweet

Flickr Images