Action-packed and Riveting: Legend by Marie Lu

Thursday, January 02, 2014

Legend (Legend, #1)
By Marie Lu
Genre: Young Adult - Dystopian
Published: April 16, 2013 by Speak
Source: Celine of Two Ends of a Bookshelf
Goodreads | Author's website
From different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths...

Until June's brother is murdered, and Day becomes the prime suspect.

In a shocking turn of events, the two uncover what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths to which their country will go to keep its secrets.

Legend is legend. It was undeniably gripping and I read it in only one sitting. I was riveted from the very first chapter until the end. Marie Lu is a genius and a master story-teller. Legend was impossible to put down. 

World building. Marie Lu was able to vividly materialize a daunting and an almost-too-realistic dystopian world out of her head. She paid earnest attention to details. Marie Lu pictured the setting so richly that I found myself being lost inside the world of Day and June. I can’t wait to learn more about the secrets of this thrilling, corrupt society.

Writing style. The writing was one of a kind. It was full of twists and surprises, and for the most part, it was really difficult to predict what was about to happen from afar. Also, the alternating dual POVs were a great help to making the story unputdownable. Especially when the chapters are cut short and it shifts to another scene, it almost-literally kills you and makes you want to scream I WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!!!!

Characters. It’s so easy to say that I love June and Day (Wow. That just rhymed, didn’t it?). June—the Republic’s prodigy, trained, calculating, and genius. Day—the Republic’s most notorious criminal, experienced, street-smart, and wise. They’re two completely different people (and their voices were also easy to distinguish from one another) yet they also have so much in common. It was interesting to witness how their lives intertwined together.

http://mree.deviantart.com/art/LEGEND-Realistic-Day-and-June-211597045I’m also glad for the lack of insta-romance. The chemistry between them didn’t feel forced or rushed, but rather realistic. You could really see how their relationship progressed, and how at first they fought against what they honestly felt because they believed each other as enemies.

Action-packed, fast-paced and gripping, Legend will take you on one, scary and exhilarating roller coaster ride of your life. I can’t wait to get my hands on Prodigy!


THE NUB AND GIST: 5 STARS
  
Buy the book from: Amazon / The Book Depository


 

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Great review, Kyle! You may have just written what was on my mind when I read Legend! Hopefully you get to read Prodigy soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm listening to the audiobook of this and I have to say ... I'm kind of mixed. I'm not loving it as much as I thought I would, based on everyone's reviews :(
    Maybe it doesn't translate as well on audio? I'll listen to the whole thing, but so far I'm on the fence. Glad you loved it so much though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The one that I most appreciated was the writing style. I love how it had an action pack vibe because of the writing style. The characters I thought needed a bit more development as well as the romance. But overall, I did enjoy reading it and loved it as well. Hopefully Prodigy will be more awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I'm interested to see if I will enjoy Legend as much as others. Great review, it's nice to see someone love an author's writing so much. I haven't read many positive reviews because it doesn't sounds like something I love in Young Adult novels. I've been trying different genres out lately. But I think now Legend will be the one that brings me back to YA dystopias.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY YOU'RE READING MY FAVORITE DYSTOPIAN SERIES!!! *claps hands enthusiastically*

    I has a bit of a problem with the voice distinction in Legend but the series gets much better with each book. Did you purchase the boxed set of the trilogy? The novella is included in the set and I want that soooo bad.

    Oh yeah, you'll most probably die when you get to Champion. Do I have permission to pressure you to marathon Prodigy and Champion now? HIHIHI

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Tweet Tweet

Flickr Images