Powerful and Badass: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Sunday, January 05, 2014

Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)
by Sarah J. Maas
Genre: High Fantasy
Published: May 7, 2013 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Source: From the super awesome Celine @ Two Ends of a Bookshelf! THANK YOU!!!
Goodreads | Author's website
In a land without magic, where the king rules with an iron hand, an assassin is summoned to the castle. She comes not to kill the king, but to win her freedom. If she defeats twenty-three killers, thieves, and warriors in a competition, she is released from prison to serve as the king's champion. Her name is Celaena Sardothien.

The Crown Prince will provoke her. The Captain of the Guard will protect her. But something evil dwells in the castle of glass--and it's there to kill. When her competitors start dying one by one, Celaena's fight for freedom becomes a fight for survival, and a desperate quest to root out the evil before it destroys her world.
I couldn’t possibly express the utter feeling of bliss I felt while I was reading Throne of Glass. I guess you call that magic.

Where do I possibly begin? Throne of Glass is an obra maestra. A work of art. A masterpiece. The author mentioned that it took her a decade from draft to publishing, and it definitely shows. The amount of time and effort spent on crafting this novel was evident in its beautiful writing, impeccable plot, and strong characters.

Lately, I’ve been fond of high fantasy x young adult books, and gods, I seriously need more. The world of Erilea was magical, thrilling, and frightful all at once. Sarah J. Maas pictured it so vividly that you would want to get yourself lost in this enchanted yet terrible world. The history of the kingdoms and its people was rich in stories and was very fascinating to learn more about.

Surely, this was because of S.J. Maas’ lush and exquisite way with words. Every sentence I read is a moment of pleasure for my mind. I actually tried to read slower because I just wanted to relish every page I turned. I’d like to forever live between the pages of Throne of Glass and sleep with words that concealed a rare kind of power.

Celaena Sardothien is now one of my favourite book heroines of all time! How could I not? Regarded as Adarlan’s most notorious assassin, in glimpses, I saw a softer and more compassionate side in her.  I admired her the most because she still had the capability to be happy and carefree despite all the things she went through in the past. Celaena had a lot of weight to bear yet she didn’t let those be hindrances towards her goals. And she’s just so adorably hilarious! I can’t even

http://linneart.tumblr.com/
And the love triangle in Throne of Glass was just sooo good! Both the love interests were deserving and it’s impossible to know who she’d end up with. I myself was sometimes confused as to who I was really rooting for. But Chaol Westfall’s just… perfect. I love the chemistry between Celaena and Chaol and I just want to melt into a puddle every time they have a scene. Chaol’s the quiet type but I just know—I just do—that she loves Celaena so much. I wasn’t quite happy that he seemed like the underdog in the first book. It took everything in me to not throw the book across the room whenever Dorian’s having a touchy touchy scene (eww) with Celaena. BUT OH CHAOL SHOW THAT ARROGANT GOOD FOR NOTHING PRINCE WHO TRULY DESERVES CELAENA’S HEART!! SHOW HIM!

I love the whole plot of ToG. The story and conceptualization was solid. The mystery cloaking the narrative was exhilarating and it creeped the hell out of me. The twists and surprises were also… well, very surprising. While reading, I was also having my own crackpot theories but none of which really hit bulls-eye, if only close. Also, the incorporation of politics, power, and corruptness in the book was interesting to read about.

To wrap it all up in the simplest way, I’d like you to know that Throne of Glass was my number 1 read for 2013.



THE NUB AND GIST: 6 STARS!!!


Buy the book from: Amazon / The Book Depository




You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I'm starting to be afraid of reading this book :D After I first heard about the love triangle I was like "nope, don't want to read it" but after sooo many positive reviews and people raving without end I had to get it. And now it's sitting on my tbr waiting to be read. Your review makes we want to finally start it. I'm currently in love with High Fantasy and can't get enough of those books. Probably the best time to read this, eh?

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Tweet Tweet

Flickr Images